Each and every year, Ecuador remains one of the best (most nominated/voted) places in the world for retirees to enjoy their retirement on a budget (not to mention having a great weather climate, plus the US dollar as its sole currency at that!). It is also one of the few countries in the world that allows you to enter with an automatic 90 day tourist visa that you receive on arrival to the country (i.e. no need to get a first time Tourist Visa before flying to Ecuador for retirees from North America, Europe, China or Australia/New Zealand).
Whilst visiting and you decide to stay longer you can apply for a further 90 day extension of the tourist visa which is called a Tourist Visa Extension. Always check with an Ecuadorian Immigration Attorney, as rules and regulations can change quite rapidly in Ecuador.
Senior Citizen Benefits in Ecuador
If you receive a pension which has a minimum income of $800 which you receive from a guaranteed lifetime pension (i.e. from Social Security, a State Pension/Teacher’s Pension or Lifetime Guaranteed Annuity), then you are eligible to apply for a 9-I Pensioner Visa. If you have a spouse or a dependent an extra $100 per month would be required to be received by you making the total $900 per month. Note as well with the Pensioner Visa (and if applicable to your situation) that you will also need to have $100 additional for each Dependent that is moving to Ecuador with you. The Pensioner visa will further entitle you to all of the associated senior retirement benefits in Ecuador for seniors.
Thus, if you are a senior citizen in Ecuador who is 65 years of age or older, and you are legally established in Ecuador as a senior citizen Resident, the following Ecuador retirement benefits will apply to you too:
· Access to reduced price health care and medication.
· 50% discounts in public and private transportation services.
· Discounts for special events, such as for movie tickets or sporting events. Discounted entry to galleries and theatre plays are provided as well, plus many are FREE in the city of Cuenca as well as in other cities of Ecuador too.
· Special tax exemptions.
· Exemption from notarial and registration fees in accordance with the law.
· Discounted electric, phone and water bills (i.e. utilities).
· 50% off round trip international flights from Ecuador. These are available through VARIOUS airlines.
· Plus, if you are a senior citizen in Ecuador, and you visit any airport, bank, supermarket, etc., then guess what?! You go straight past everyone else and take your place directly at the front of the line (or to a special dedicated line ONLY for seniors!).
Want to retire in Ecuador and get the benefits of all the other wise American/Canadian (and other nationality) retirees in Ecuador? Simply send an email to the following English speaking Attorney in Ecuador (her principal office is located in Cuenca though she serves all Expats as per where to retire Ecuador that they wish), for which she is well known for replying to Expats about their retirement in Ecuador requirements in ALWAYS less than 24 hours (often in less than 24 MINUTES..), and on behalf of every Expat she provides a complimentary consult as per all the Ecuador retirement benefits and the moving to Ecuador process: