Ecuador Residency

Obtaining your residency in Ecuador requires you to do your "Due Diligence" and make sure that you have plenty of patience.  The information below may be current at the time of writing this but is subject to change at any time.  For more information you would need to contact the Ministry of Foreign Relations.  But this should give you some of idea of what to expect.

Some expats have mentioned on various blogs that you do not require an Attorney to help you with your paperwork.  My advice is that if you do not speak fluent Spanish and have an understanding of the legalities required to be adhered to in Ecuador - "Get an Attorney".  

Ok so what happens when you land in Ecuador.  Quite simply you would normally arrive on a Tourist visa and get a T-3 stamp placed in your passport.  This allows you up to 90 days in the country.  

A resident visa allows you permanent residence and you can still travel outside of Ecuador BUT yes another "but", you cannot leave the country for more than 90 days per year in the first two years of your residency.

Residency Visa Types

There are several different visas that you can obtain and the one of the most used by retirees is the 9-I Pensioner Visa.  Pensioner Visa Requirements

If you are considering investing at least $25,000 for one person then you can obtain a 9-II Investor of Real Estate Visa.  Now this can be monies put into a CD or property.

The following links may help you out a little further.

Residency Attorney in Cuenca

Senior Benefits in Ecuador

Consulates and Embassies in Ecuador

Ecuador Consulates in the USA

Travel.State.Gov Us Department of State Visa and travel information. 

Subscribe to Newsletter


"Quito, Cotacachi, The Coast & Cuenca in 10 Days"